Great Central Railway is Europe's only surviving double-track heritage railway and the only section of preserved mainline railway, the only place in the UK where heritage trains can be seen passing each other at speed, all important features which are unique and benefit not only the town but are precious in terms of the UK as a whole. This project will:
- Help to preserve and develop rare employment skills which are rapidly dying out.
- Create a heritage locomotive works and education centre
- Deliver increased tourism opportunities. The GCR attracts over 110,000 visitors per annum in a normal non-COVID-19 year – all contributing to spending in the wider town economy.
- Further develop a linked-up heritage quarter and the planned development of the attractions themselves.
- Reduce the need for local people to travel to access skills
Loughborough Town Deal Grant: £280,000